Make your gardening easier by choosing plants that are easy to care for and make a big impact! These low-maintenance plants make your landscape no-fuss, so you can spend time doing something besides yard work all weekend.
Trees and Shrubs:
- The small to medium Hawthorn tree can tolerate pollution, shade and drought.
- Evergreen Juniper shrubs are super easy to maintain, and grow low and wide.
- Hostas, with their large leaves, will work in just about any zone, in any light, and will return every year.
- Liriope has larger grass-like blades and purple flowers in summer. It tolerates shade and drought and is even evergreen in mild climates. Great for hard-to-mow areas.
- Ornamental grasses of all kinds, add texture and color to your landscaping without a lot of fuss. They tolerate full sun or shade, hot climates, and even drought. Block off an area with these.
- Creeping thyme not only smells wonderful, it’s edible and only needs occasional watering.
- Try Hardy Geraniums and they’ll come back year after year. They come in several colors.
- Lots of shade? Hydrangeas, which are actually a perennial flowering shrub, make huge flower groupings and come in several different colors.
- Lavender, in many varieties, is drought tolerant and can grow large enough to create a fragrant hedge in your garden.