A little preparation now will protect you later! Winterize your home this month and use our top tips to make sure you’re prepared for the cold.
Outside your Home
- Prevent frozen pipes and water damage by wrapping your outdoor faucets and any exposed pipes.
- Install your storm doors and windows to add that extra layer of protection.
- Add a door sweep to your entrances to keep the cold air out.
- Make sure the weather stripping on your windows is working well – replace it if its worn.
- Clean your gutters to keep future melting snow flowing properly off your roof.
Protect your plants by winterizing your gardens with a layer of mulch. Bring plants inside that are not able to withstand the cold, setting them near windows for the winter.
Inside your Home
- Install a programmable thermostat to maximize your efficiency and save on utility costs.
- Call the chimney sweep to make sure your fireplace and chimney are in working order. A warm fire is a cozy addition to a cold winter night – not to mention a necessity should the power go out.
- Inspect your furnace and change out the filter for a new one. A clean filter makes it easier for your furnace to run, saving you money.
- Add another layer to your window treatments: a thermal curtain or drape can help keep your home warmer as well.